Columbia Giants of ChicagoColumbia Giants of Chicago
Photo: John W. Patterson, manager, Columbia Giants
In 1899, under the direction of John W. Patterson, a group known as the Columbia club organized the Columbia Giants.
Patterson started out with the Cuban Giants as a substitute second baseman, playing behind Sol White, but won a starting position in left field the following year.
In 1896, he played for the Page Fence Giants, who went on to defeat the Cuban X Giants for the colored championship.
When the Page club disbanded in 1898, Patterson and many of his teammates formed the nucleus of the Columbia Giants. Patterson also signed Chicago Unions pitcher Harry Buckner.
Patterson then entered into an agreement with Chicago White Sox owner Charles Comiskey to lease his park.