In the 1940s, many Negro League games were played at Wilmington Park. The stadium in Wilmington was owned by Delaware's Carpenter family, which also owned the Philadelphia Phillies. Wilmington Park was home to the minor league Blue Rocks, a Phillies farm team also owned by the Carpenters.
The Philadelphia Stars of the Negro National League played many of their home games in Wilmington Park after losing their Philadelphia lease in 1947.
The Stars had replaced the Hilldale Club as the Philadelphia-area Negro Leagues representative. Hilldale, which was based in Darby, Pa., and played in Yeadon, folded in 1932.